Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All-Star Wrestler

In my business, parents are the ones to beware! I've always said there's not a toddler out there that I can't love. But the parents? We interview for parents to become clients, not children. The children are just an added bonus! Actually God has given me a spirit of love, so I've been blessed to have wondeful relationships with my parents. And I've made some life-long friends too. But I'll be the first to admit, parents can be funny. And sometimes my head just shakes while I ponder . . . what were they thinking? And let me just add right now, for the record. I've spent much time shaking my head over some of my own parenting choices. Haven't we all? The stories I could share. But let's get back on track here.

I had a dad once who didn't get his boy until the third try. And he obviously couldn't wait to share his manly-man joys and activities with his little guy. By the way of a side note to all you parents out there. You can't hide anything; there is really no point in even trying. The children reveal it all while at day care! Sometimes good. Sometimes naughty. Sometimes sad. Sometimes funny. I'll be sure to share some of these stories on later blogs.

But getting back to our guys' manly-man activities. K* was a wonderful three year old who came to my home with one of his older sisters. As sweet as he was though, you never knew what to expect from him. What he might do. What he might say. At the beginning of one day care week, while the kids were busy playing, K* proceded to climb up on the couch. I watched with my provider eyes to see what he was going to do next. And it all happened at once.

He started to stand on the couch. Just as he began standing, I was saying, "K* remember we don't stand on the furniture. Couches are for sitting." Of course, as you might suspect, I didn't get that whole sentence out of my mouth. K* was up on the couch, standing on the edge. Then he jumped off (fortunately missing any other children) and shouted, "BODY SLAM!" At first I wasn't quite sure what he had said and wondered what in the world he was doing. But as the week went on and K* continued this reckless activity, I quickly figured it out. Over the next couple of days in the midst of normal activity, I would hear K*'s voice, "BODY SLAM." Now I might just add that K*'s intent was not to miss the other children. He wanted to land on them but fortunately his timing was a little off. Of course, as we are all aware, practice makes perfect!

Each time, the behavior was disciplined. But when it didn't slow down, it became time for intervention. Dad rarely came to the house for drop-off or pick-up of the kids, so I asked mom one day, "Does dad watch all-star wrestling with K*?"

Trying to hide her exasperation she responded, "Oh yes. K*, dad, uncle, all hollering together in the front room. Every weekend."

As I went on to tell her the daily activity of her own little all-star, she was horrified. We both shook our heads, but we both got quite a chuckle too. It really was funny. So I, in my firm provider manner, told her K* was not allowed to watch All Star Wrestling with dad any more. He clearly was not old enough to understand and separate deceptive acts from reality. Until he was, K* needed to stop watching.

And they did stop allowing him to see this crazy activity. Thankfully no children were hurt but I shook my head and pondered . . . What were they thinking?

2 comments:

  1. Great story Sheri! And...they STILL "tell all" by their behavior in middle school! I wonder if parents know that as well! HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh i remember that...good times with that one!!

    ReplyDelete